Saturday, May 19, 2012

Writing

I haven't done a lot of posting about writing, and I know some of you don't really read the blog for my writing stuff. However, I would like to share more about writing, and specifically critique partners.

Readers may know that I started a writing group with the intention of helping each other critique stories, motivate each other, and offer additional advice (grammar, mechanics, ideas, etc). One of the writers and I have been really working with each other. Carol recently started her own blog and she intends to use it to share some of her stories, and progress for these stories. This is fantastic.

Carol has written one complete story that I am attempting to re-type for her, because her computer crashed. She had printed off the story before the crash, thankfully, and her father sent her a laptop for me to use to do this. While I re-type, I fix grammar and mechanics. This really works with my strengths.

I also advise her on her current WIP, especially when she feels like the story is lagging. The story doesn't lag, really, but us authors sometimes are our toughest critics. We have bounced ideas around in discussions, and she's been able to run with a few of them. She also has another story poking at her so hard that the new story is trying to over-run the current story.

Carol has also helped me with a visualization technique which has really helped me in descriptions of scene and character. I think I will be able to use it for POV work too.

I also have a young writer's group which has a few solid writers in it. I am looking forward to working more with them, and perhaps this summer might be a good time, since I don't have a job for those months, although I sure could use one! Still got bills to pay for those months. Hint, hint!

Do I have any readers who are writers out there? We sure could use some ideas for our little group. Please share in the comments any ideas you have.

No comments: