Sunday, May 20, 2012

Heart and Hands

Today is the last meeting of our sorority until August, and it is our Heart and Hands meeting. For this meeting, we share a hand-made gift with the woman who we were the secret sister for over the previous months, and reveal ourselves as their secret sister. A secret sister gives gifts to a sorority sister for birthdays, anniversaries, holidays, bad days, good days, or just because. These gifts can be simple, but touch a sister in so many ways.

I am looking forward to revealing that I was my mother's Secret Sister (which is EXTREMELY difficult to pull off when we shop together FYI) because she has been such a rock for me for the last 8 years. This year was just a small way for me to show my appreciation. Because of the first sentence in this paragraph, the scheduled time for this post will coincide with the start of the meeting. Hahahaha!

I really like the tradition of Heart and Hands because it brings out the Friendship part of our sorority. It also allows us to show off our skills, and our belief in our sisters in the sorority.

If you are a member of Beta Sigma Phi, please know that I am proud to call you Sister! Joining the sorority has been a great way for me to work on getting over my shyness about speaking in front of groups, and helped me to continue my love of learning, while celebrating the joy of being who I am, beyond mother or daughter.

I am looking forward to today's meeting, and seeing the great crafts and love behind each gift.

I hope all of you have a great day!

No comments: