Friday, April 20, 2012

Today is brought to you by the letter "R"...

and once again the blinking cursor. I had some thoughts on phrases that start with "R" but that seems like taking the easy way out.

I know I catch myself saying "Right on" a lot, and if it annoys me, I feel sorry for all the people around me. The phrase is a good response for when you don't want to appear too enthusiastic, or just as good for when you feel super enthusiastic. I use it when I'm not sure how someone would like me to respond.

I appreciate the subtle nuance of the phrase. (*cough* yeah, right *cough*)

How about a word, then?

Responsibility. A word loaded with emotion.

In my world, I am held responsible for a multitude of things: children, bills, maid duties, etc. How about in your world?

Teachers (and schools) are held responsible for choices students make, which seems wrong to me. Sure, we all wish there were teachers that could inspire even the laziest, most uninterested students, but there just aren't very many of those left. School holds no surprises for students when there is the Internet. Students know they will not be held back, nor held accountable for the choices made in school, so they figure "why bother?" and teachers are left holding the bag.

In all honesty, responsibility is one of most important things school should teach students. Not only should students be held accountable for choices being made, but also, there should be consequences for those choices at every grade level. How can not failing a student do anything but set those future graduates up for failure in the real world? If the student is not grasping concepts, and honestly is struggling, please hold that student back until the concept is understood. If a student is merely choosing to fail, then let them fail. How can this hurt anyone's feelings? Those students will look back (theoretically - unless they are spoiled and have been raised to think the world owes them something because they are here) and be thankful for being able to grasp real world concepts.

And yes, every core subject is used on a regular basis in the real world. Sure, history seems like a waste, but there is the often heard quote "those who do not study history are doomed to repeat it" and it can be taken any way the reader chooses. I feel that if we do not understand what our history teaches us, how can we make a decent future for our children?

Sure, you and I may not want to know all the formulas for math or science, but one of your classmates may go on to use those to cure cancer or get humans to another planet safely. How cool is that?

And yes, literature is difficult to understand. Some of the stuff in Shakespeare has even me thinking "huh?" but there are themes, and morals in the stories and poems that are read in literature. English classes teach us how to write properly for improved communication, and in a global economy, good communication is key. Sure, language usage changes, but we need to learn those facts too. Yes, we speak English (technically American English), but what kind of excuse is that?

And speaking of excuses, I would like to share something I read on Facebook. "If it's important to you, you will find a reason. If it's not, you will find an excuse." Wow. Just wow. Seems to me that the students who have come up with every excuse in the book for failing to do what is necessary find education to not be important. Really? Let me see how you are truly getting by in the real world in 5 years without the knowledge you need from schooling (if Mommy and Daddy aren't bailing you out that is).

So, shouldn't we be holding these students accountable? Responsible? Hmm...let me think....OF COURSE!!! I hold my child responsible. Why can't other parents? It would hurt their feelings? Really? Okay, how do you think they will feel when you are gone and can't help them out of a situation they got themselves into because of continued poor choices? More than their feelings might be hurt - those affected would include: children, family, co-workers, friends, etc. Wow. Their feelings might be hurt. Sheesh.

Plain and simple, take responsibility for your choices people!! Gosh.

Okay, I'm stepping down from my soapbox now. Have a fantabulous weekend! And I hope George Takei has a fantastic birthday today!!

No comments: