Thursday, April 5, 2012

Euphemism

I love the word euphemism. I vividly recall hearing George Carlin use the word in a routine regarding fussy eaters. It still makes me snicker.

I have euphemisms for many things, as do most people. Although, frequently I avoid euphemisms and go straight for the most sailor-like word to describe a thing or situation. Yes, I have been known to drop the f-bomb in very creative ways (just ask my mother). However, I also like some of the euphemisms I have discovered. My mother likes to say that people are from "here" or from "not here" - yes, seems obvious I know, but you may have had to have been there. I also call trucks that are obviously compensating for some shortcoming by another name.

My daughter calls shots "torture" when she has to get them. I call them "revenge." It's a point of view thing I'm sure. I call tattoos a "relaxation technique" while others may call them "painful." To each his own.

A favorite euphemism I have is for those very nice people who drive in a way that tends to make me a bit annoyed (another euphemism for having road rage), but this is not appropriate to share where young eyes may view.

I would love to read some of your favorite euphemisms, so please share them in the comments! Have a fantabulous day!!

No comments: