Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Create

Today's topic is Create. I believe that creating something is an excellent release, almost to the point of a necessity for many. I have also watched students struggle with creating a single simple sentence for a paper.

Why does this happen? For many of the students I work with, it has been a lack of confidence in ability. For other students it is a lack of ability. If I write what the student says, the inability to create seems to disappear. For me, facing a blank page can cause near panic attacks. I enjoy watching students suddenly have a burst of creativity, even if it is regarding a dry topic for an essay.

I have also been known to throw 5,000 words into a document in a few hours. Unusual, but it has happened. I also enjoy drawing, but that definitely takes me a great length of time. I didn't even know I could draw until I joined my mother for a class a few years ago! I even enjoy playing my flute and my saxophones (when they weren't broken). Although I am usually reading someone else's music, I am still creating music when I play my instruments.

I have seen my mother enjoy working with clay, or knitting, or painting, and she used to enjoy cross-stitch (those darn holes seem to get smaller and smaller, don't they?).

My daughter loves to write and draw, and so does my son. Girl has been drawing a lot, and has written some great starts to stories. Little Man has been drawing comic strips like crazy. I hope that they both stick with it.

I have a friend who writes quite a bit, and this seems to be a necessity. She says she has to get the ideas out or they poke and poke at her until she stops and writes.

I hope my readers have enjoyed creating things. W - thanks for my picture! Keep drawing, or coloring! I love what you give me! Even if you don't think you are creative, just try to create something, anything! It really doesn't have to be for public consumption. Just let yourself relax and create.

No comments: