Thursday, May 5, 2011

Peek

     Tonight I am going to go to a party with my husband, for Cinco de Mayo. For some reason he just has to go to this stupid thing for work, and I really have no desire to go. I want to get my laundry caught up, and make sure the kids have their homework done, and maybe even try to do the little things around the house that should be done. Sigh.
     I guess I will start getting ready. I think I will wear my hair in an updo so that I won't get quite as hot, so now I need to figure out what outfit to wear. I know if all else fails, the handy "little black dress" that is a must for every woman will work. I know he likes that red dress because it reminds him of the trip we took when we first got together to Laramie for Susan's wedding. But that dress kind of looks a bit too formal for the silly party. Maybe I will wear some nice jeans and a comfortable top, and with my hair up I will look dressed up. Yeah, that's a good idea. No makeup, as usual. Hate that stuff. What a waste of time! It's bad enough I am having to do my hair.
     After I shower, I get dressed and start working on my hair. The kids have no homework again tonight, so I am left in peace for a short time. Our daughter will cook supper for our son, and they will entertain themselves - he with the Wii or DS, and she with her latest series of books to read.
      Here comes my husband, racing to the bathroom for a quick shower. It's his last day for four days, so he will enjoy himself tonight and pay for it tomorrow. He steps behind me as I sit at the dressing table. The towel wrapped around his waist emphasizes that wonderful set of abs he has always had. He kisses my neck as he puts his arms around me. He asks me to wear that perfume he likes. He tells me I look beautiful. He always says that.
      After he gets dressed, he spends some time talking to the kids about their day in school, and wrestling with our son. He missed so much while he was away, but doesn't let on to them how much it bothers him. I watch them and realize for the nine thousandth time that I missed him more than I can ever say. He walks to sit by me on the couch and reaches for my hand. The time is nearing for departure, but he lingers on. The doorbell rings.
      I open the door to find the local flower shop owner standing there with a bouquet of lilacs and carnations. She smiles as she hands them to me. He did it again. Just says "I love you" with the smallest gesture full of memories. I smile as my eyes begin to water. I thank her and take the flowers to the kitchen. He wraps his arms around my waist as I fill the vase with water and cut the stems.
     He tells me he has another surprise for me. I just shake my head. He always tries to make me feel special every day, and I feel that I don't do enough to make him see how much I love him. He holds my hand as we leave the house. He opens my car door for me. I watch him walk around to the passenger seat. He hates that he can't drive anymore, but hates the feeling of fear he will harm another even more. He tells me that I need to go to the new motel and restaurant in town.
     As we pull into the parking lot he tells me to park in the hotel part of the lot. He knows what he is doing so I find a spot well away from other vehicles. He leans over to kiss me as I put the car in park. Even sitting down my knees go weak when his lips touch mine. After a decade he can still make my stomach flip-flop like a teenager. He gets out and comes around to open my door. We walk hand in hand to the door of the restaurant. As we enter I hear his co-workers shout to him. We walk to the table and sit down. I people-watch as everyone visits and drinks.
      He leaves the table with a kiss on my cheek. When he returns he slides something in my hand. It feels like a credit card. I look down to see a room key. I smile. Another gesture filled with memories. As the food arrives, I smile. Maybe this party was worth it after all.

1 comment:

D Mann said...

Damn this is good