Friday, May 6, 2011

Kasey

  Today he called. My heart paused its beating. I didn't want to answer that phone, but if I didn't the consequences would be painful - literally.
 

  I took in a deep breath and exhaled for a slow count of five. I pushed "send" and mumbled a greeting.
 "Kasey, you were slow today. Any particular reason?"
 His unidentifiable accent and deep voice, with its undertone of danger, made my skin crawl.
 "Just trying to change clothes. What's up, sir?"
 "Kasey, I think it's time you met Zee. The plans Zee has been making require your expertise. Be at the Bijou Diner at 2:30 this afternoon."
 As the phone buzzed in my ear, I stared at myself in the mirror. I knew what I was seeing was a sick fear which had been building for the last six years. I disconnected and set my phone on the dresser while I continued to stare into the eyes in my reflection. I had thought he was going to help me. That's how it had started.
 I was just a stupid girl who thought life anywhere but home would be better than parents who didn't even know I was around. I could have a parade of boys or dealers run through the house to my room, but I doubt they would have noticed. After Konnor died, they found their own ways of coping, while I just gave up on them. 
 The child in me remembered that first cold night sitting at the bus station counting my money. A lanky, dark-haired boy walked over and sat down across from me. He asked me where I was headed, and I asked him if he was writing a book. His eyes narrowed just before he laughed.
 "Okay, toughie. Have it your way. I was going to offer you some help, but you obviously have it handled. Good luck"
 I watched him saunter over to the drink machine, glance over his shoulder at me, and then get a soda. He stepped to the snack vending machine to get a bag of chips. He moved to the blank wall between the two machines and leaned against it. He never opened the chips or soda. He just watched me. I tried to ignore him but it felt like he was standing just over my shoulder whispering in my ear that I just couldn't do this without help.
 I looked at him with what I had hoped was a more positive and open expression. He nodded and walked back over to me, again sitting down opposite of me. He was assuring me that I could escape from him if I got nervous. He handed me the soda and chips. I thanked him. I drank and ate both slowly as he shared his own story. When he was finished telling me this tale, I told him I was in.
 He stood up, reaching out his hand for my backpack. I shook my head and slung a strap over my shoulder. He shrugged and I followed him out the door. We turned left and walked for several blocks before coming to the Bijou Diner. We took a booth in the corner. He told me to order anything I wanted. I just stared at him. He said it would be fine, he would pay for it. I glanced at the menu, but after the chips and soda I really just wanted some iced tea. I wasn't really hungry before the chips and soda, but I wasn't going to turn down a gift. I debated on just ordering a sundae and tea, when a man joined us.
 "Sly, who have you brought to visit? She is so young."
 "Hey Eks. This is..."
 "Kasey, Mr. Eks. My name is Kasey."
 "Just Kasey? I wonder what your story is young lady. I hear manners and see intelligence in your eyes, so why would you be with Sly, and at this time of night?"
 Sly caught my eye and nodded.
 "Mr. Eks, Sly was just helping me, making sure I didn't get hurt. I have a crappy home life and a desire to move on. I know I am young, but I work hard, and learn fast. Will you help me?"
 Mr. Eks regarded me for a few minutes, and seemed to come to a decision. With a nod, he asked me to place my order with the waitress who had just walked up. When she had gone, Mr. Eks began talking to Sly quietly, but not secretively. I heard almost every word, and none of it made enough sense for me to care at the time. I couldn't bring myself to look at Mr. Eks again. His weird accent and voice were so different.
 I looked at Sly as he listened to Mr. Eks intently. His dark eyes showed his reactions to what he heard. He glanced my way once, and I saw surprise. I quickly glanced out the window behind him.

No comments: